- This event has passed.
Performance And Accountability Conversations
May 28, 2019 @ 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM
Do you have an employee problem that needs to be handled? Behavior is just as important as performance. In some cases, behavior has a greater impact on the company as a whole. A company culture is built by what the worst behaving or performing employee can get away with. Below are 6 tips to address performance or behavior issues.
1. Identify behavior or action (or lack of)
2. Identify the impact on the team, bottom line, etc.
3. Identify the change expected (be detailed and specific; make no assumptions)
4. Identify a deadline for change (yes it can be immediately)
5. Identify a consequence if change does not happen
6. Celebrate the change, or implement the consequence – including termination
All verbal conversations should also be communicated in writing. This written communication can be an email recapping your verbal conversation regarding the six steps. Many people do not take verbal warnings seriously, but a written documentation signals their brain that the conversation was serious. Also, you want to cover your assets when, and if, the time comes that you have to terminate this employee. Most HR or legal experts will also tell you to get the employee to sign it. I am telling you at a minimum, have the conversation with the person and then document it with that person (not just in an isolated binder of secret complaints).
Wendy Sellers, MHR, MHA, SPHR, SHRM-SCP www.thehrlady.com Connect on LinkedIn